Pages


Monday, December 19, 2011

9 Hours Later

The modern airplane creates a new geographical dimension. A navigable ocean of air blankets the whole surface of the globe. There are no distant places any longer: the world is small and the world is one. ~Wendell Willkie


I find it amazing that I can board a plane in Chicago, doze off, and wake up in Switzerland 9 hours later. To put this in perspective, it takes me the same amount of time to drive from my home to Northern Wisconsin. I can be in India in 24 hours which is the time is the same amount of time one can drive from Chicago to Arizona. Just 150 years ago it took pioneers 6 months to travel from Missouri to Oregon with a wagon train. Modern transportation has opened up the world to us, gives us the opportunity to explore new countries, to seek out new cultures and peoples, to boldly go to places our grandparents could only dream about. With the world at our fingertips, I also find it amazing that many people don't avail themselves of the opportunity and visit other parts of this world, that people don't take the opportunity to stretch themselves, to broaden their perspective on life. I don't understand the mindset that does not want to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment