Pages


Thursday, June 7, 2012

Leadership Training #04 - Vision

The task of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to elicit it, for the greatness is already there. ~John Buchan


 I recently gave my fourth leadership training class at my company. It is a training program I have created from scratch based on my many experiences and studies over the past 25+ years. In many ways, it was the best of my training sessions. I believe, my part, is improving because I had three training classes under my belt and I am becoming a better trainer. I also believe this one was one of the best because it was on a topic, Vision, which excites me and that excitement came across in my presentation.

However, what made the class particularly exciting was that the 7 participants are becoming comfortable with the environment and each other and opened up for some meaty conversations. Each training session includes time to discuss leadership situations encountered between sessions. Generally, that time barely fills the 15 minutes which I allot. For session #4, it lasted almost 45 minutes as each of the participants shared leadership challenges and we discussed ways to address the particular situations. It was powerful.

Within the framework of the vision training, I had each of them select one value from a list of values and explain why it was important to them. The list contained: Collaboration, Meaning, Tolerance, Creativity, Perseverance, Continuous Improvement, and Kindness. The reasons behind the choices were as unique as the individuals. However, a common thread amongst them all is exceptional performance. Each one of them is a high performer in their respective disciplines.

I also had them create a common vision statement, albeit in a very short time span, on a topic of their choice. I left the room for a break while they pressed on with the exercise. They did not come up with a final vision statement but their work was headed in the direction of a vision for their combined leadership and how they want to transform the company. 

I was very excited at the direction of their vision statement because it is in alignment with the concepts I have been training for the past four sessions. It was validation that my training has been effective and well received.

Because they did not finish their vision statement, they planned on meeting on their own time to create a vision statement, a vision statement they will present to Senior Management. A vision statement, once written and spoken out loud, is more likely to be achieved than one safely tucked away inside their heads.

I am very excited they are going public with their vision and am excited for the future leadership of the company.

For me, this is one more step in the direction of my personal work mission and vision statement. They are:

Mission:
Train up effective Servant Leaders who place a priority on growing others in to be fully effective individuals that continually grown their own leadership skills and get outstanding results through people.

Vision:
Create a leadership university in my company whose alumnae are trained so well, they are the first choice to fill the leadership roles both within in my division and at other divisions of my company by 01-Jan-2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment