Pages


Friday, September 28, 2012

Thank You, Seth

Your art is what you do when no one can tell you exactly how to do it. Your art is the act of taking personal responsibility, challenging the status quo, and changing people. ~Seth Godin


About a year ago, 23Sep2011 to be exact, I took up a challenge by Seth Godin to start a blog and to write a blog a day for an entire year.

I don't know Seth, had never heard of him until a month before when I heard him speak at the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit. I know him now only through his message on stage that day and the books of his I have read.

His way of thinking strikes a chord with me. He says we were all artists and we should share our art with the world, sharing our art is a gift we give to the world. By sharing our art we connect with others. Connectedness is the way of the future.

I had been thinking prior to hearing him about starting a blog. His challenge of a blog a day in one of his blogs gave me the kick in the butt I needed and I started blogging.

Through 29Jan2012, I blogged every day. I thought I posted on 30Jan but apparently I posted that days blog on the 31Jan. So, on 30Jan, my streak was broken. It restarted then broke again on 27Mar after which, work became very hectic and the blog a day faded to something like a blog a week.

In some respects, I am disappointed that I broke my streak. But, the thing that got in the way, my work, was because I had started a Leadership Training course for which I developed all content and was the trainer. That activity, a complete labor of love, consumed me completely work weeks on end. Many a work day would pass where I suddenly found myself to be the only one in the office and the clock showing I had been there for 12 or more hours.

So the blog streak broke and I am okay with that. Over the course of 365 days I posted 255 blogs which amounts to about a 70% completion rate. More importantly, I jumped back into a personal art form that had been stagnant for quite a few years. I found myself reveling in the written word again, found myself growing in creativity with every post. For this joy, I say, Thank You, Seth Godin.

No comments:

Post a Comment