Pages


Friday, September 30, 2011

Stuffed Pig


Today is the first dinner I have had in the past week that did  not last 3+ hours. It's also the first dinner I have eaten at home in the past week. Unlike dinner meals in American restaurants, the dinners in Switzerland are slow paced meals....not meals...events. Dinner is an event in Switzerland where the meal is expected to last most of the evening.

My workmates and I experienced these events for six consecutive nights. We definitely bonded during our dinners and learned more about each other than we do during our regular working time together. We become closer which results in us working more effectively when in the office The only downside I can see from an extended meal time is that we all tended to eat too much. As the high quality food and wine came in wave after wave, and the conversation ebbs and flowed, I, for one, lost track of how much I had eaten until, suddenly, I felt like a stuffed pig.

The meals ended very late, typically, after 10 pm then we had to walk home making bedtime sometime after 11 pm. With work starting early in the morning, I found no time to exercise. I feel like I gained 5-10 pounds during my week in Switzerland. Coming Monday, it's back to the gym and back to smaller dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment