Pages


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Book: The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly

No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance. ~Confucius


The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch Series #4)There was a time in my life when I was a mystery book aficionado. As a youth, I devoured The Hardy Boys series of mystery books, the tale of two teenage, crime solving brothers, Frank and Joe Hardy. I was engrossed in those books so much so that, once I started a story, the world around me ceased to exist and I would pretty much read nonstop, cover to cover.


Another series of mysteries I absolutely loved were the Jim Chee & Joe Leaphorn stories created by Tony Hillerman. I discovered the author via an interview on radio program by NPR (National Public Radio) when Tony, discussing his novels, said that he wrote these books primarily to give a depiction of the Navajo, a people he greatly admired. With each book Tony published, I found myself rushing to the store to buy these and, again, becoming immersed as I devoured the books cover to cover.

Over the years, my interest in mysteries has declined mostly because I found them to be to predictable. It became rare that I was not able to figure out 'who dun it?' well before the end of the story. This was a demotivator because I enjoy being surprised (after all it is a mystery), if not with each turn of the page, then definitely by the end of the book.

A friend recently recommended I read one of the Harry Bosch mysteries. Despite my reluctance, I decided to read one of the mysteries. I chose The Last Coyote because I have an affinity for coyotes, find them to be a symbol for fierce independence and surviving by craftiness, qualities I like to believe exist in me.

I was pleasantly surprised by the work.  The story kept me interested, the main character drew me in, and the story had enough plot twists such that, when the book was finished, I thought, I didn't see that coming. I read the book pretty much in two sittings. It would have been in one sitting but I had a family function to attend on Easter so, reluctantly, had to put the story on hold at the half way point for a day.

I already purchased another book in the series, the follow up to The Last Coyote. I can't wait to see how Harry's life progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment