Pages


Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Primary Leadership Characteristic

Great leaders genuinely care for and love the people they lead more than they love leading itself. Leadership without love degenerates into self-serving manipulation. ~Rick Warren


I have had a leadership role since 1988 when I was promoted to Supervisor at my second company out of college. While I was in a leadership role, I don't believe I was a leader of a people. I was a figure head who had responsibilities required to run my small department but my ability to lead people as defined by influencing them was nil. Why? I was interested in my career not in the people under my supervision.

My ability to truly lead people began 5 years later. It started with young kids, 2 and 3 year olds, when I led in a Children's ministry at church. I stayed in the Children's ministry for a few years and frequently had people tell me their kids looked forward to coming and seeing me.

The next phase of my growing leadership came through coaching soccer primarily with kids in the 7 to 12 year old range. I did whatever I could to ensure the kids both learned how to play and have fun in the process. Here, again, parents frequently came to me and told me their kids loved playing for me.

All during this time, I was a leader of adults in the work world. Gradually, I became influential to those I lead in the adult world and it is not uncommon for them to tell me the appreciate me as their manager, that they can tell I cared about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment