Pages


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Surrealistic Reality

If love had feathers and tasted like dog food, then I suggest you wear shoes with your banana pudding. ~Jarod Kintz


I have dabbled in poetry but don't consider myself a poet. I have dabbled in photography, sold a few of my photos, but don't consider myself a photographer. I have dabbled with acrylic paints but don't consider myself a painter. I have dabbled in arts but don't consider myself a classic artist because my current art is my work. I do, however, enjoy the conventional arts.

I have been through phases when I was most attracted to pictures depicting reality such as the stunning black and white photography of Ansel Adams or the gorgeous scenics of Galen Rowell, a mountain climbing photographer who is known to take pictures while hanging precariously on a rope over the edge of a cliff to catch that last ray of sunshine creating fire on the landscape.

My current favorite genre of art is Surrealism.

Surrealism fascinates me because the images jolt the brain from the real of normal into a world where anything is possible, into a world where clocks melt, where brains are a maze, where eyeballs peer out from between ruby red lips.

Too often, we are caught up in what is right or wrong instead of setting aside those notions and allowing ourselves to just enjoy beauty, allowing our minds to grab hold of the fantastical. When my kids were small, we colored together. They used to ask me what were the right colors for a particular picture.  I always told them the right color is the color they choose. To show them there was no right color, I would use every color in  the box when coloring natural scenery.

For me, the most haunting of the surreal images are those depicting the eyes. The English proverb says, the eyes are the window of the soul. When I look at surreal pictures who's centerpiece is eyes, I feel I am looking into the souls of the artists who created those pictures.

Some of those souls are scary places replete with skulls and visions of tormented minds while others create views of reality which intrigue me. I love to see images of humans hatching from eggs and hands that draw themselves and fish with human legs laying on the beach and many other images which propel me over the edge and into the abyss of imagination.

I think I am attracted to these works because the imagery is so far out of bounds with the norm, the imagery is dreamer and I tend to be a dreamer. As a leader of people, I believe if the team can dream a goal they have taken a big step to achieving their goal. It is my job to help them believe the seemingly impossible as the artists show us their surrealistic realities.

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ~Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment