Pages


Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Penchant for Two Wheels

A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun. ~Bill Emerson


One of my favorite aspects of Swiss culture is their reliance on two wheels, bicycles, almost motorcycles aka scooters, motorcycles, as a primary mode of transportation. Bicycles are everywhere in this country, the city streets frequently have bike lanes, the cars have accepted bikes as compatriots, if not equals, on the roads. You see them everywhere. On the sidewalks, on the streets, parked side by side by the 100s near train stations.

The vast majority of the bikes here are not the thoroughbred racing bikes so common in the US with ultralight, polished carbon frames, turned down handlebars, ultra thin tires, that are reserved for weekend 'training' rides. Nor are they high end mountain bikes with suspension on the front and back ends primarily used in the US for offroad riding. I am not saying these bikes don't exist here, however, if they do, they are not common on the streets. The bikes most commonly encountered in Switzerland are the workhorses, heavy limbed steeds with robust wheels, fenders, and, commonly, baskets to carry goods, single speed and multi-speed. They are sometimes dirty, oft times beaten battle scarred steeds that are ridden on a daily basis. They are left out to endure the wrath of the elements as the owners, that rode them to work or the store, are in the office or shopping or eating dinner. Frequently, they are unlocked when left alone and, it's my understanding, theft is virtually nonexistent. Much different than Chicago where, any part of the bike that is not under heavy lock, seems to disappear. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Chicago bikes locked to a street post with the seats missing. The quick release seat is not sensible in the Windy City.

There is very little spandex here (thankfully in many cases) or bicycle specific clothing. People ride in their daily attire, work appropriate clothing, dresses and, this time of the year, winter outerwear. They are not fair weather riders. They ride in the warm and the cold, the wet and the dry, the sun and the shadow. I have not found any time when the Swiss are not using their bikes as a primary transportation mode. There are people with this mindset in Chicago, too, but they are few and far between, frequently seen as eccentrics. This is partly because our weather is much more severe than Switzerland but mainly because the cost of driving in Switzerland is significantly higher than in Chicago, from the price of the car, to cost of having a license, and the cost of gasoline that rivals the price of gold, to the lack of parking spaces.

If I had a chance to live in Switzerland, I believe I would fit right in to the bicycle culture. I would have to make a few adjustments such as trading in my carbon fiber road bike for something more sensible, a bike with wider wheels, but not mountain bike wide, fenders to keep water and dirt streaks off my back, and upright handlebars. I would likely ride my mountain bike less frequently reserving it for bombing down the many hills and mountains instead of the daily ride to train or work. And I would no longer wear my spandex shorts which, I think, many people would appreciate. Yes, I could definitely see my self being a biker in Switzerland because their biking lifestyle strongly appeals to my penchant for two wheeled transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment