Pages


Sunday, November 20, 2011

Two People, One Heart

Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe. ~Anatole France

I have developed a habit of wandering when I want to experience a new place on a guttural level. I find wandering to be much more enlightening than the sterile approach of picking a point of interest and getting myself their via the fastest means possible. The point of interest approach tends to focus one on the destination which often results in missing the beauty of the journey whereas, when wandering, all points are both journey and destination. When I wander, I find those tidbits not on the tourist map, I encounter the nuances of the real face of the place instead of the face put on for the benefit of tourists.

On this day in Switzerland, I wandered down toward the Zugersee, the lake bordering the city of Zug. I wandered along a different route than any I had previously wandered. I had been to the lake a couple of times already on this trip and found it pretty much empty. But today was palpably different. Today the sun was out and brought with it a warmth not available earlier in the week. Today the people were out eager to be caressed by the warmth of the sun's rays. They sat beneath the yellowing trees looking over the waters, the walked, jogged, biked along the shore of the tranquil lake. A lone sailboat glided leaving behind it a faint wake. Along the lake is where I saw them.

They were a very old couple walking in the afternoon sun, an ancient couple that walked arm in arm, a couple that walked slightly stooped with the weight of a long life, that walked slowly, deliberately, a couple that appeared to be in their 80s and, I imagined, have been married for more years than I have walked this earth, a couple that I imagine has achieved unity of heart, a couple where each completely knows the other and is completely known by the other.

I believe each of us has a deep down desire to know someone completely and to be known by that person completely. To have someone know our inner most secrets, someone that is aware of those dark places in our soul that frighten us, yet to still love us unconditionally, to be accepted for who we are without fear. I know this is something that I desire. I want to have a connection with that one person, a connection physically, emotionally, a connection of the soul. It is something I have never had, have never been in a relationship with someone that I felt safe enough to share my innermost secrets without fear of reprisal, fear of rejection. I want what I saw in the eyes and countenance of that very old couple as they walked slowly in the park heading away from the waterfront arm in arm each supporting the other. They have the connection I have been seeking all my life....two people sharing one heart.

3 comments: