Pages


Monday, November 14, 2011

Switzerland (Day 2) Wintherthur

Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit. ~Frank Borman


Slept for 11 hours last night, much needed sleep after a day/night of travel and walking around picturesque Zug. Where to go today? I asked Google which recommended a visit to Winterthur, an hour train ride from Zug via Zurich including a train change in Zurich. I was two minutes from boarding my train when I noticed I had forgotten my camera. I walked back to the hotel to get my camera and took the next train about an hour later.

The train system in Switzerland is nothing short of amazing. They run like clockwork to cities and towns all over the country with buses taking over for the locales not served by train.  Unlike my second trip here when I boarded the wrong train late at night with a buddy and we took the express to Lucerne instead of the local to Kollermule, which cost us a good two hours, I find myself easily navigating the system. The once cryptic signs now read like a child's book to me. The train yard in Zurich with it's 50+ tracks is a little city and a marvel of Engineering. I can see why cars are infrequently used here. From the train, I could revel in the beauty of the countryside, see the fall foliage just past it's peak.

The train/bus payment is on the honor system, a reflection of the Swiss' penchant for following rules. Tickets are purchased by machines or from a ticket agent. The train may or may not have a conductor to check your ticket. I have had less than half my rides being checked for a ticket. However, if you get caught cheating, the fine is 100 Swiss Francs, so it's not worth the risk.

Winterthur is a pretty little town similar to old Zug and old Luzern with candy colored buildings and cobble stone streets, I found Luzern to be prettier with the crystal clear river running through the heart of the city.  I saw signs advertising concerts but they were all for Saturday events, nothing on Sunday. Because it was Sunday, most everything was closed and there weren't many people about. It's frustrating for me, coming from an area that seems to never sleep, to find an entire city shutdown on the one day I have the entire day available to sightsee.

The highlight of my time in Winterthur came when I found a church near the city center,  St. Laurenz church dating back to 1264 AD. I love visiting places of worship be they Christian Churches, Indian Temples, or other. These cathedrals and temples to man's spiritual side express man's desire to build a holy place fitting of the deity he worships, creates a place of beauty worthy of the presence of God, are the most ornate of man's creations. I have been to places of worship in England, Germany, India, and Italy. For me, none was more magnificient than Il Duomo in Milan Italy.

I entered the sanctuary, found I was the only one in the church, and slid quietly into the last pew where I sat unmoving for a few minutes letting the completeness of the silence wash over me, allowing me to gradually feel the very presence of my God. In this sanctuary, it felt wrong to talk, to make any noise. All I heard was my own breathing then my heartbeat. Eventually, I walked toward the front of the church, toward the altar and cringed as my footfalls shattered the silence, the sound made me conscious of myself rather than conscious of my God.

The architecture was magnificent, arches lined both sides of the church, murals covered all the upper level walls, pews had beautifully carved end pieces, all windows were of stained glass depicting Biblical scenes. The masterpiece, the peace de la resistance, was the massive pipe organ in the loft at the back of the church, silver pipes with carved wood accents. I would have loved to sit in a service, though I wouldn't have been able to understand the language, just to hear the music bellowing out of the the massive pipe organ. I would have closed my eyes and let the sounds of the organ, the raised voices transport me back to the days of yesteryear with the worship songs of old. In that instance, the words would not have mattered just the sound, the glorious sound, the resounding voices and resonating music engulfing me in harmonic beauty, harmonic perfection.

The church was my last stop before heading back to Zug. As frustrated as I was that the country pretty much closes down on Sundays, I was happy that, in that church, I had seen the best Winterthur had offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment