Pages


Thursday, February 23, 2012

People Person

I think you have to work with people, and when I talk about managing relationships, don’t think the derogatory ‘‘managed relationships’’. It is a question of sharing emotion and feelings. ~Anil Ambani


All through college, I had a goal of working with technology, working with things, creating magic with electronic circuits. My field of study was Electrical Engineering, a field chosen based on fascination with circuits and wires and devices. I felt drawn to work in this area for the attraction of working with inanimate objects as much as I felt pushed away from working with people. I was excited to be entering a field which  I viewed as being people free, a world where one plus one was always two, where event A would always elicit reaction B no matter how many times it was attempted, a world where I could predict outcomes. For me, people were fuzzy, people were messy, people were unpredictable, people were something to avoid.

That was my mindset half my life ago. How I changed from being a person hoping to spend his life creating circuits and avoiding people to a person who  has but a passing interest in technology and finds working with people exhilarating is a mystery to me me. I have pondered this mystery, tried to pinpoint when the transition occurred but can't figure it out, can't fathom in what stage of my life that my priorities changed one hundred and eighty degrees. All I know now is that I love working with people, I love doing things in teams, I love helping people grow, I love helping them achieve things they didn't believe were within their reach, I love meeting and getting to know people from diverse backgrounds from all walks of life on every continent of the world. I have found that I love people and I love being a people person.

No comments:

Post a Comment