Pages


Monday, February 6, 2012

Hero Worship

I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids. ~Charles Barkley


I don't understand this whole hero worship thing. It makes no sense to me why people go gaga over Lady Gaga, why people fawn at the feet of famous people, why someone would pay good money to have an athlete write his name on your shirt.

Most of what passes for hero's these days are famous people, actors and athletes, people that became famous because they have a particular skill. Most people have a skill yet we don't want to go out of our way to meet them. The difference is that actors and athletes have a skill that earns them good sized paycheck. Is it money that makes us want to drop at their feet and pray? If so, that's shallow on our part. Is it because we see them on TV or the silver screen? That's an equally shallow reason.

Bono is a famous musician. Yes, I would pay my good money to see U2 play because I enjoy their music. No, I would not pay a dime to meet Bono. I have no interest in meeting him despite U2 being one of my favorite bands of all time. He's a musician and musical ability does not make him a hero.

I just don't understand why people will purchase a product because it's endorsed by an actor. What does the typical actor know about an automobile. Choosing a car because it's endorsed by a actor is completely illogical unless that actor happens to be an Engineer with detailed knowledge of the car design.

Because and actor can act (which is essentially lying in a believable way) we ascribe to them many wonderful traits like wisdom and knowledge. Yet, most actors seem incapable of running their own lives as do many of the high priced athletes that grace our TVs. Why anyone would emulate them is beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment