Pages


Saturday, January 7, 2012

Winter Bliss

Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. ~Rabindranath Tagore

Today was an impossible day for a Chicago January, a day that just can't exist. It was one of those days that if someone told you about it you would look them dead in the eye and call them a liar, a story teller of Mark Twain proportions. The temperature peaked at 56 Fahrenheit about double the average Jan temps with a sun shining between the puffy white clouds. People were out at lunch time without hats, scarves, gloves, or coats. It was as if Spring had sprung a few months earlier than normal.

 I couldn't let the beautiful day expire without enjoying the weather for that would be a crime of epic proportions, a sin to waste the gorgeous day God sent our way. I hurried home after work for a bike ride. Nothing big. Just a 6 miler. Six miles of bliss with a gentle breeze in my face, feet pounding on the pedals, working the body into a good sweat, legs burning, heart pumping. Honest exercise for a body that is showing the effects of being relatively sedentary during the winter months, for a body that is feeling the effects of long work hours, infrequent trips to the gym, and holiday feasting.

It was much needed exercise for the body and much needed introspection, solitude for a mind that seems to almost never rest., especially since I was given the blessing to start my work leadership training program at work. The notice calling for applicants was sent out by my boss yesterday. He told me the interest is high, so high, he expects there will be many more applicants than the six spaces we are offering. He received calls from supervisors trying to make sure their candidates make the cut. The organization is excited and so an I. Outside of the company, I also have someone who would be a potential first client for personal leadership mentoring. If all works out, this could be the start of a new direction for my life, a side job as a leadership coach. But that's getting ahead of myself, looking to far into the future. It's great for a long term goal. For now, I will continue to put together my training plan, continue weaving many of my learnings into a digestible feast for those I will have the privilege of training.

My ride headed west for a few miles, headed west into a gorgeous sunset. The sun cast the sky into an array of colors so vibrant the clouds appeared to be on fire, waves of fire from the horizon reaching high into the heavens. It was on fire like my desire to have a successful training for aspiring leaders, to serve those next generation leaders so they can take their teams and the company to new levels of success. The ride was vital for my spirit, a great way to combat my Winter Blues and move me into Winter Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment