Pages


Friday, January 6, 2012

Winter Blues

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

~A. A. Milne



The holidays are over without another vacation coming until the end of May, the coldest of the winter weather is settling in freezing the very blood that slushes through frosted veins, the gym is packed with the New Years resolutionists ensuring the regulars have to fight to even touch the equipment such that the body cools down while waiting a turn and questioning eyes peer while sets are being counted off, the days are still short ensuring arrival and departure from work is under cover of darkness, snow falls rendering streets nearly impassable pushing drive times to twice or thrice normal, it's too cold to hop on the bicycle for a two to three hour mind relaxing ride, motorcycle rides result in icicles dripping from exposed skin, when the sun does shine it only serves to remind of those long off days when shorts and t-shirts are worn outside without fear of losing a limb to frostbite.

Luckily, I have an adventure called work to keep my mind from becoming numb in the long nights of winter. I have an job that utilizes my talents, that pushes me to develop my skills, that challenges me to learn and create and improvise, that requires me to focus on building up others, that keeps my mind occupied from the instant I open my eyes and consciousness subdues slumber to the moment I close them for the night and I am transported by dream to exotic lands filled with warm days, colorful people, star filled nights.

Perhaps one day I will awake from that dream to find myself living in that dream, the dream that is a dream yet not a dream. Perhaps one day I will open my eyes for the 365th consecutive day to the warmth of the early morning sun rising orange over a turquoise ocean with waves gently brushing the seashore while birds roosting in verdant trees raise their voice en masse and the heat of the sun laps my skin until it is a light pink. Perhaps one day I will never again have the winter blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment