Pages


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Improving The World

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank




When my kids were younger, I used to ask them how they made the world a better place. I wanted to instill in them a sense that they had not only a duty but also the ability to make this world a better place by their day to day actions. It was important to me that they understand that they had the power to make things better, to improve the day for at least one other human being. This ability to make the world a better place one person at a time is a power we all possess. It doesn't take much effort.....a kind word, a helping hand, listening to someone that needs an ear....but this tiny effort has the power to change lives for the better.

Unfortunately, it is a power we don't always put into use. Sometimes, when they came home, they would turn the tables and ask me how I made the world a better place. Usually, I had an example but not always. When I did not, they called me out and let me know I was not fulfilling my duty to my fellow man. I appreciated that they kept me on my toes and, to this day, I consider on a daily basis - on most days -  what I have done to improve the life of my fellow man. My answer to myself is not always what I want to hear and frequently I am saddened that I was focused inward and missed the opportunity to bring a measure of joy to another's life. I am definitely moving in the positive direction but not as quickly as I would like. More often than I like to admit to myself, my selfishness gets in the way of me being the person I desire to be.

What have you done to make the world a better place today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment