Pages


Sunday, October 2, 2011

No Place Like Home


I arrived home Friday following a week in Switzerland. The final plane ride was thankfully uneventful and routinely boring. I tried to watch Pirates of the Carribean 4 on three different legs of my flights but never was able to see the end of the movie. Does Captain Jack Sparrow win in the end? Does he get the girl?. On one leg, we landed before it was finished. The two other times I was watching, I fell asleep. This is not a reflection on the movie, which I found to be entertaining, rather to the effects of Ambien, my partner on long flights.

My week was filled with long work hours. We worked both in the office and over our long dinners. Despite the long hours, I feel relaxed like I just came home from a vacation. The diversion of not being in the office during my work week somehow made the time feel more refreshing, more fun than work. The most difficult part of the trip was the long flight home and trying to readjust my body clock. It took a couple of days to resynchronize and I am almost completely back to operating in my normal time zone. I figure, with the first day back in the office, I will finally be on my regular schedule.

I do enjoy traveling, seeing new places and being immersed in different cultures. The world and it's people are very diverse, very colorful, very different culturally from the Midwest where I have my roots. As much as I enjoy traveling, I do enjoy coming home after a trip. Seeing loved ones after an extended absence always warms my heart. There truly is no place like home.


No comments:

Post a Comment