Pages


Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Peaceful Easy Feeling

'Cause I got a peaceful easy feeling ~Eagles


Some days there is nothing better than sitting down in the afternoon and enjoying the sounds of Spring, especially when the Spring day is unseasonably warm and the place you are visiting in only vaguely familiar. Today is one of those days. My meetings ended earlier than expected so I finished up some work and headed back to my hotel enjoying the warm sun perched on my shoulder and the backdrop of snow capped mountains.

It is Tuesday, my third day in Switzerland on my current business trip. I am slightly fatigued but not due to jet lag, fatigued because I was up late enjoying the companionship of workmates, workmates that are also friends. People are a big part, the primary component to what makes work more than a job, more than a way to make a living.

Sitting on a bench outside my hotel, I am surround by a good many birds that seem to be enjoying the Spring day as much as I am. Their voices, to me, are unfamiliar, as indecipherable to as the German language spoken by the inhabitants of this little hamlet, save for the crow sporadically calling from the line of trees that cast long shadows in the setting sun, in the shadows where a bright white cat, white as my hair will one day become, prowling the hillside whose start white coat contrasts against the brown leaves, remnants of the previous Autumn days.

If the cat could whisper into my ears the secrets of catdom, would open it's cat world to eyes that are decidedly human, decided to cross the threshold, the chasm separating our two species, I believe, on this gorgeous Spring day, the cat would tell me that the secret to life is to sit back in the sun and enjoy the moment.

And that is exactly what I am doing. I am sitting on this long wooden bench allowing the sun to bathe my face in light, basking in a warmth I desperately missed during the winter months. Listening to the bird song, the fading purr of a motorcycle engine, the animated voices of men deep in discussion, thinking fondly of my blessed life, thankful to have people in my life that I love and who love me, just relaxing and enjoying that peaceful easy feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment