Pages


Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What Can You See?

For me the greatest beauty always lies in the greatest clarity. ~Gotthold Ephraim Lessing




Have you ever had your vision blurred and were completely unaware it was blurred until you were able to view through a lens that brought clarifying focus? Have you ever faced a problem which had you completely befuddled until someone pointed out a simple answer and you were shocked by the clarity of the solution? Have you ever had a preconceived notion, a notion you held onto with deep conviction and had that notion obliterated when receiving new information? I find these moments of clarity hitting me upside-the-head on a fairly regular basis these days.

I may be getting these on a regular basis because for many years I was pig headed and refused to see anything that was not illuminated by my own 'brilliance''. I may be getting these because I have chosen to blog every day and my mind has become more attuned to seeing that which has been sitting on the tip of my nose, more attuned to 'aha' moments. I may be getting these because, after 50 years of life, I have finally matured enough to put infantile ways behind me and filter life through the lens of painfully earned wisdom. I may be getting these because life experience is gradually washing away the film that has obscured my vision since I lost the intense wonder of early childhood in the grind of schools requiring conformity to achieve good grades. I may be getting these because I allow books from all walks of life to wash over me cleansing me of culturally biased thought.

I love these swirls on the surface of the lake that is my consciousness spreading in concentric, overlapping circles as far as I can currently see. I love these moments of clarity, these moments of understanding, these moments of inspiration because they let me know that my mind is functioning, that my mind is actively absorbing life, that I am still growing.  I love this clarity because I am gradually being able to appreciate the beauty that walks by our side every day of our life. I love these flashes of clarity because they give credence to my belief that I am living, that I am fully alive.



This growing clarity allows me to appreciate the beauty inherent in the uniqueness of everyone that walks the earth, the beauty that emanates from all people when we take the time to look past the surface that may be jaded by life and peer into the flower of their soul.


If your eyes were clear what wonderful sights would you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment