Pages


Saturday, March 10, 2012

Excitement of Travel

You know what the three most exciting sounds in the world are? Anchor chains, plane motors, and train whistles. ~George Bailey, It's A Wonderful Life


 The excitement is building, my anticipation is piqued for tonight I will be boarding a plane and in the blink of an eye (an eight hour blink) I will be setting foot in a land far, far away. The distance will be far away in terms of miles but not really that far in terms of culture when I land in Zurich Switzerland for Swiss land has a Westernized culture. As is the case of cultures the Swiss like every other culture has nuances that take getting used to but, all in all, it is comfortably Western in nature.

To go really far in terms of culture I would need to travel somewhere like Asia, Africa, the Middle East, or India where My pasty white skin, red hair, and overall ruddy complexion never did quite blend with the native population. This was made very evident to me when, while touring Mumbai, I was stopped not once but twice to have mt photo taken with the locals. It gave me a glimpse into the lives the rich and famous must live when they go out in public. To that life I say, no thanks. I don't mind being on stage once in a while, actually I enjoy being on stage once in a while but, to have that as a life style would be overwhelming.


I really enjoy traveling these days especially international travel. I am very excited about my upcoming trip to Turkey in May where I will be traveling with a seasoned (and sexy) international traveler in an exotic land where West and East blend. I will be traveling with my Asian girlfriend which waxes poetic because we are also an East West blend.

Travel was not always something that grabbed my attention. Growing up, my family typically traveled no further than central Wisconsin, which we did most every summer of my youth. It wasn't until I was in my 30s that I made my first trip across the pond and went to England. Since then I have been to a few other countries and find myself enjoying it immensely.  My only regret is that I did not start international travel at a much younger age.

No comments:

Post a Comment